Sunday, November 1, 2009

We need a miracle!

My last blog post was about our miracle with Kaydence's ears. We are so thankful for that. Now we are in need of another miracle.

Meredyth, our baby born on April 3rd, is severely allergic to pork. It sounds like a strange allergy but it is life threatening for her.

She breaks out in hives if her skin comes in contact with it. For example, if someone eats a ham sandwich, then kisses her, her skin breaks out.

She is a breastfed baby. If I eat pork, she vomits and cries. For example, we were eating hamburger pizza the other night. I looked it over and did not find any traces of pork. As I was eating it though, I tasted canadian bacon. I told my husband about it and he said, well maybe it's not enough to bother her. She was puking and crying for 3 hours after she nursed. So it looks like cheese pizza from now on.

Her throat swells and she can become anaphylactic if she is in a house where pork is being cooked. And the same happens if she is near a large amount of raw pork such as a ham.

She won't allow someone who has cooked it or ate it recently hold her. She begins crying from the reaction.

It's not been that hard to get it out of our house and our eating. The problem comes when we go other places. So far most restaurants have been fine as pork isn't the main thing they cook.

If we go to visit family, we have to request that they don't cook or eat it while we are there. Some of them think we are nuts I think. Others totally understand. We avoid family get togethers with pork now also.

Pork is in things people do not think about. Things like hot dogs, bologna, little smokies, etc. She will be tested at a year old by an allergist in a controlled setting to see just how severe it is.

We know that God can take care of these things. So I am here asking for y'all to remember her when you pray. Christmas is just around the corner and some of the get togethers always have ham and I'm not sure how we are going to handle that. Right now I have a luggage tag with the allergy information in it and I'm sure we will tie it on her when we are in big groups. Help us pray for another miracle!

No comments:

Post a Comment